Tuesday, April 28, 2009

David Foster Wallace, Author: 1962-2008

My oldest son recently introduced me to an author I fell in love with: David Foster Wallace. I was so enthralled by his writing I was ready to send him a fan letter...something I swear I've only done once or twice in my life (really!!). When I googled his name to find contact information, I read that he had committed suicide in the fall of 2008. According to sources on-line, Wallace suffered from debilitating depression for most of his adult life. I guess he couldn't cope anymore. When I read that he had hanged himself, I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. Does being a genius make life among mere mortals unbearable? I'm sad for his family and for readers everywhere. What a terrible loss. I recommend his book "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." It's witty and irreverent. Keep a dictionary close at hand--you'll need it for his Phd vocabulary! :) David, I hope you know peace now.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is great. I hope you are enjoying it.
    Linda Shrake

    ReplyDelete